Saturday, June 2, 2012

Malfatti Meat Sauce Saturday!


Okay, I promised I would tell you how I make the meat sauce and since my son Andrew is arriving home from London tonight...and I am making another batch of malfatti for him along with the sauce...here you go...

You will need the following:

you will need the following:
1 lb of sweet italian sausage
1 medium or 1/2 of one large yellow onion chopped.
1 or 2 cloves of garlic finely minced (only use one if you don't like garlic)
1/2 cup dry red or white wine...doesn't have to be expensive, I paid $1.99 for this bottle at Safeway.
1 15oz can of tomato sauce, again doesn't need to be expensive.
1 cube of beef bouillon 
1 1/2 cups of hot water
salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp fresh minced oregano

Step one is to brown your meat.

I use a potato masher to break up the meat into fine pieces, personally, I like the texture better in the sauce, it's more uniform and there is more flavor exposure.

once your meat is browned, add your onions and saute until they are translucent.

Mince your garlic and have your wet ingredients read to add all at once.  Add your garlic and give it a stir, we don't want to brown the garlic (that would make the sauce bitter)  As soon as you get the garlic stirred in, add your wet ingredients.  Doesn't matter the order.

Mince your herbs and have them ready to add as soon as you get the liquid ingredients in.


Your sauce should look like this...simmer it gently for about 15 minutes, it will thicken.  Taste and adjust the salt and pepper to your liking.  I find that with the bouillon and the sausage, it's not necessary to add any salt.   But everyone's taste is different.

This sauce is delicious and you can serve it over any kind of pasta you wish!  It would even make an amazing dip for focaccia or sour dough bread, garlic bread, vegetables...anything you can think of!

Enjoy!

The only e-mail I got from my son this week before he came home was "don't eat all the malfatti!".  Gotta love that boy!  We even saved him some mom's world famous applebetty with caramel sauce! ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment