Saturday, February 23, 2013

Triangular Bits of Fabric Fun! UPDATED


In the Spring 2013 issue of Fons and Porter's Easy Quilts, there is a pattern by Alison Tudor, Cascarone.  I kept going back to this page in the magazine and dreaming about making this quilt in a different color way.  I have been wanting to do a gray and aqua quilt for sometime now and this is going to be it!  



Up early this morning, about 4am and started pulling fabrics.  18 fat quarters of fun...all containing that magic aqua color that I wanted to feature in this quilt.  


Several breaks later...with a pause for a chick flick movie on my tablet and some hot tub time with my dear husband...I have completed all 18 of the large blocks and I am onto the 36 small ones.  I will need to cut out 72 of the Kona Cotton background fabric first, so it will be a bit before I start sewing again, but I was having fun this morning fussy cutting all my triangles!  And I love the Aqua with the Gray!  Makes me happy.  I'm always in my happy place when I am sewing.  

If you want to make a quilt like this, the pattern is on the Fons and Porter website at this link:  http://www.fonsandporter.com/articles/Cascarone__easy_colorful_triangle_quilt
And it is also available in their Spring 2013 issue of Easy Quilts.  

The quilt in the magazine has a confetti feel to it as you can see above.  And I love it in the white, but not real practical in the forest.  I think the gray with the aqua will look very modern.  We'll see.  I'll post some more pics when I get further along!




Got some more done on my blocks tonight, all the triangles are finished now and I have cut all the solid squares that I can get out of my remaining fabric.  I still need 13 more solid blocks to assemble my quilt top.  I'll have to dig tomorrow, I'm done for today.  I'm excited to get this one put together tomorrow!  More to be revealed!


Top is finished!  It was a bit overcast when I took this photo so the bits are not popping like they do in "real life".  So happy with how this turned out, quick and fun.  She does not put a border around her quilt, but I'm thinking I may order up some more Kona cotton and put a border on this.  Each fabric is different and fun.  You could make this quilt up in so many fun color ways.  I'm going to back this will a silvery gray minkie and then quilt it very simply with straight lines, I think this one calls for a "modern" quilting approach.  Should be lovely to snuggle under.





No comments:

Post a Comment