Monday, September 2, 2013

UPDATE: Kaffe Fassett, Philip Jacobs And A Storm At Sea!


Top Finished, ready for quilting


Philip Jacobs Lavinia on the cutting board

I woke up yesterday and pulled out my stash of Kaffe Fassett, Philip Jacobs and some random batiks and knew exactly what I wanted to make!  Last year a friend recommended that I purchase the Fast2Cut Template by Wendy Mathson.  So I did.  I have been sitting on it mentally hatching a quilt and finally decided to do something about it this weekend!  


I decided to get Wendy's book which was also recommended.  I have read it cover to cover several times.  You can get a copy at your local quilt store or online at Amazon.com  I can recommend it to you!


I decided to make the quilt that she is showing on the cover...but I want different colors than what she had selected...so here goes!



Cutting out the bits and labeling them.



Sewing the first sub component.  The ruler does all the work for you, it's so easy!  I had to pay attention the first couple times and then it's like magic!



The first two rounds are up on the design wall.



Adding the third round

Half way though the fourth round I realized that I was short on the light green Philip Jacob Lavinia that I was using...EEEK!   Why didn't I buy the whole bolt when I had the chance???   Honey!  We have to go down the hill, I have to go to the fabric store...I'll buy you lunch!  Down the hill we go...lunch eaten...fabric store closed?  REALLY???  Okay, calm down.  Honey?!  We have to drive to Rocklin to Beverly's to see if they have any.  Down the hill still further we go.  The traffic is horrendous!  They don't have it!  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  Back home, dejected, sorting through the piles of fabric on my table...wait, what is this?  Is it?  It is!!!  One single strip left, just wide enough, if I am careful, to get out the bits I need!!!!!  Oh Happy Day!!!  Oh Happy Day!!!
Thanks Honey for being so patient and sweet.


Adding the fourth round, there are two more to go before I am ready to stitch all the sub blocks together.  Looks very different from the book cover doesn't it?

I am loving me some jewel tone fabrics right now...back to the sewing table...You will have to check back to see how this finishes up!

On the home front, it has been raining all day!  Thankfully!  We have the windows open and fresh air is streaming in. I'm sure this is helping with the fire up the road and the one in Yosemite.  Grateful for the relief from the smoke!

Andrew has returned from Burning Man 2013, I have not spoken with him, but I think he had a good time.  Here is his finished costume complete with lighting!  (All they are missing are some trick or treat bags...LOL)


Along with all the costume fun...I decided to start a mug rug swap on Ipernity...so here is a little quick pic of my finished mug rug for my swap partner.  She loved it!

All Finished and going out in the mail today!

If you would like to join us in our next swap...come on over to www.ipernity.com/group/mugrug and join in the fun!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, love what your quilt is becoming! Just found you and happy I did. ��

    ReplyDelete