Sunday, June 19, 2011

Tea Wallets and Tutorial

I have had a blast this weekend making little Tea Wallets!  They are quick and easy and would lend themselves well to mass production if you are so inclined.


Step 1.  Cut 4 pieces of fabric 5" x 7" (if you want to put credit cards in them, you will want to go 5" x 8")  Cut 1 piece of interfacing the same size.  Cut 1 piece of fabric for your closure 1 1/2" x 6"  or use a piece of ribbon or elastic if you wish.  Once you make one, you can change it up as you need.


Step 2.  Take two pieces of the fabric and fold in half length wise and press,  now top stitch along the folded edge.

Step 3.  Place the interfacing behind one of the remaining pieces of 5" x 7" fabric and line up one of your "pocket" folded pieces  1 inch from the bottom and stitch in place along the bottom only of that "pocket".


Step 4.  Place the next pocket, again with the folded edge to the top, raw edges placed along the bottom of your wallet and again stitch in place along that raw edge on the bottom only.

Step 5.  Line a ruler up, half the width of your piece, in this case 3 1/2 " and make a mark on the pockets with either disappearing ink or chalk (something that can be erased or removed easily) this will be your stitching line for the pockets, you do not need to stitch all the way to the top.

Step 6.  Take your narrow strip and fold it in half length wise, press.  Now fold the raw edges into the center of the fold and press again so that you have created a finished strip.  Place them straddling the bottom pocket as shown below and stitch in place.  Have your fold the way you want the closure to look as it will not change direction or shape when the wallet is completed.

Step 7.  Place your remaining piece of fabric on top right sides together, pin your corners and if necessary, your edges, then stitch around all sides leaving a 2-3 inch space at the bottom for turning.

Step 7.  Trim the corners carefully and turn the wallet through the opening at the bottom.  I use the blunt end of a bamboo skewer to pop out the corners, you can use a knitting needle, just be careful not to puncture the fabric.  Press and top stitch close to the edge.

 Step 8.   Stitch a button to the front side for the closure...I have yet to decide what I want to use as a button for this one.

Here are some other wallets I made this weekend...






9 comments:

  1. I love these! I have made 5 so far. People love them and I have a whole list of people waiting for one. Your directions are so simple to follow. Great way to use up scraps too. I made one a little bigger like you suggested and I use it for all those store rewards cards I have. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you are enjoying the tutorial. They are a blast to make. Have fun! and Thanks for visiting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this super tutorial, probably hard to make just one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have been making these but had to comment - yours are works of art, especially the rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so cute! Thank you for being so generous, always sharing your tutorials.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tutorial. just going to raid my stash now....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found your tea wallet on Pinterest. It seems so simple to make. I have read several and I get lost just reading,no telling what I would do with fabric!!will be making this soon great directions. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where did you buy the materials. I only have a Joann Fabric close by, I haven't seen such cute material there. Thanks

    ReplyDelete