Sunday, December 15, 2013

Christmas Table Toppers


These little table toppers are quick and simple to make.  I hope you will enjoy the following tutorial.  There are several on the web and you can purchase patterns if you like.

* * *

To start with you will need:

1 -  12.5 inch square of background fabric.
2 -  5 inch squares of background fabric.
1 -  20 inch square of batting
1 -  20 inch square of backing fabric
1 -  12 inch square of pellon 805 fusible

Assorted scraps of holiday fabrics for leaves and ornaments.

2 -  2.5 inch strips cut width of fabric (40-44 inches) for your           
      binding.

* * *

To make the ornaments,  I cut strips of fabric random widths and stitch them together.  I used a cup to trace 4 circles on the Pellon.  I rough cut them out and placed them as desired on the strip set.  Press the Pellon patterns onto the backside of your strip set and then cut out carefully with sharp scissors.  

Using random bits of scrap fabric for the leaves, draw your leaves and berries onto the Pellon and again, press them onto the wrong side of your fabric.  Carefully cut out your pieces with sharp scissors.

Take your 12.5 inch square of fabric and fold in half, press.  Do this again the opposite way and again on both diagonals.  See below.


This will create lines to help you place your pattern pieces in a symetrical fashion.

Now, lay out your pieces as desired and press into place.


Take your 5 inch squares and cut them both on the diagonal as shown below.


Fold your triangles in half and finger crease on the long side, do the same for your block, fold it in half and finger crease.  This will help you line up your pieces uniformly.  I have placed a purple mark to show you below, but your finger crease will be evident and it is not essential that you mark your fabric.  


Pin your side pieces to your blocks, matching your finger creases.  I like to place three pins, one in the middle and one at each end.  Be careful not to stretch these triangles, they are cut on the bias.


When you have them all stitched on, press to the outside.

Now for some decorative top stitching.  I like to place a 12 inch square of Pellon Stitch-N-Tear Lite beneath my fabric for stability.


Pin the Pellon Stitch-N-Tear into place so that it does not shift while you are stitching.


Stitch your pieces into place with your desired stitch, straight, satin or perhaps blanket stitch or another decorative stitch of your choosing.  This is the time to satin stitch your ornament tops.  I just stitch back and forth until I have the desired shape and then stitch a little circle around the top with straight stitching a couple times.  If you are not comfortable free handing these, you can draw them on with a disappearing quilt marking pen to make it easier.


Place your backing down, wrong side up, then place your batting and your table topper.  You should have plenty of batting and backing on all sides.  Iron and then pin into place.  Quilt as desired.  Carefully trim your block and bind the edges.  There is a great binding tutorial that I will link here:  http://thecraftyquilter.com/2013/06/how-to-bind-an-inverted-corner/


Wasn't that fun!  I am making lots of these right now.


Thanks for stopping by, I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!



















15 comments:

  1. Thank you for the tutorial!!! I got your blog address written down from Just Us Quilters just in time before it disappeared!!! Whew!!! I love this, so cute and so simple. It will be a fun project to share with my guild if that is OK with you!!!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have fun making these Martha! Thanks for your sweet comments!!! Absolutely okay to use with your guild. Anything on this site is okay to use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You just popped up on my facebook tonight. I love this tutorial! Thanks! You are a generous soul!

    One question, what dimension is the circle?

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ornament circle was made by tracing the lid of a large mouth canning lid. Any circular object will work, a cup, a bow, a can...just pick something that has the dimension you want for your ornament.

      Delete
    2. I just loved the crispness of your table topper! Thanks.

      Delete
  5. I love this tutorial! Thanks for posting it, it is appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are Welcome Eileen, I'm happy that you are enjoying it.

      Delete
  6. This is a beautiful table topper. I too enjoy the clean crisp lines (or is it curves?) I also would really like to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a lovely Christmas project and your tutorial is really clear and straight forward. As a complete beginner, this is a great help. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for the tutorial. Very easy to understand. These will be great to make for my family and friends for Christmas. I can't wait to start them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wspaniały projekt, podoba mi się - planuję uszyć taka dla siebie. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this pattern. I made it with friends and used it all during this past Christmas season.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Are there any templates for the holly????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I have made a number of your toppers, and recipients tell me how much they love them. Thank you so much for sharing this project. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete