Thursday, May 17, 2012

Zig Zag Quilt - Update Top is Finished



Today I am starting a Zig Zag Quilt with two charm pack that I have of Tula Pink Prince Charming.  It's an easy quilt, made of half square triangle units.  For my solid fabric I have selected Kona Cotton Ice Frappe, it's a lovely color that I am very fond of.  To construct the quilt, you cut 6 inch squares of the Kona Cotton, draw a line diagonally across each one and then pair them up right sides together with one of the Prince Charming squares.  Stitch 1/4 inch away from the line you have drawn on both sides of that line, then cut on that line, you will have two half square triangle units pieced quickly and easily.  Then it's just a matter of laying them out in a pleasing pattern.


I have been playing with the blocks on my design wall and have decided that I prefer them in a like color sequence rather than mixing them all up.  It's just an individual choice, there is no right or wrong way.  So I am starting to piece them.  I will piece each color run separately and then place them on my wall in a way that I find pleasing before I stitch the long strips together.  My initial thoughts are to exchange the dark strip with the pale blue strip, I don't want the red and green next to each other, and I think the bold stripes will look better on the outsides.  This will be a lap quilt.  

Here is another option I looked at for design earlier today...mixing all the colors up...


It looks pretty this way as well, but my eye was darting all over the place and I was happier with the solitary color run on my design wall above...just personal preference.  Well, back to the sewing machine and the iron.  More to reveal later!
So, I have completed the top, I ended up doing one zig that is mixed from left overs and placing a 3 inch strip of the Kona Cotton Ice Frappe in between the rows to expand it a little.  I'm happy with how the top turned out.  Now to select some backing and binding.  I will probably add another 3 inch strip around the entire piece as a border.  Don't want a big one.  I'm pretty sure I know how I want to quilt this as well.  More to reveal later!


No comments:

Post a Comment