Sunday, May 4, 2014

Stacking Fun!


Last class I did a demo of the Stack and Whack method and promised I would put it up here for you to see.

For clear cut directions on how to select and stack your fabric here is a link to the directions by Quilter/Author Bethany Reynolds:





This was my starter fabric, a bold print by Free Spirit Westminster Fibers called Stylized Tropical Garden.  I bought it about 3 years ago and knew the minute I saw it that I wanted to do a Stack with it.  It has been sitting in my stash waiting for this moment.  And since this is my year to work from  my stash...well, here we go!

Following Bethany's instructions for stacking the fabric, I stacked 4 repeats one on top of the other.  I then decided to cut 6" strips across the width of the fabric.  Why 6"?  My ruler is 6 inches wide, it's easy and I'm lazy...lol.  I then subcut them again into 6 inch squares as shown below.


This creates "sets".  A stack of four pieces that are exactly the same.  I can have lots of fun with these!  First try putting the stack together different ways, rotating the pieces.  You can get some interesting blocks from this. 


From my "set" above, I can arrange them to create the following four options just by rotating them.







Isn't that cool?!  Yes!!!  And each "set" will create something entirely different.  These blocks finished at 11 1/4 inches.  They may vary depending on your 1/4 inch seam.  The nice thing is they are incredibly easy to square up to the same size when you are all finished!


*********************************************************************************

Okay, lets have some more fun!  Let's take that 6" set and cut it diagonally both directions as shown below.



Now we have created 4 more "sets".  (to keep your sets together, place a pin through all four layers until you are ready to use it)

Let's take one of these "sets" and put it together in a block as shown below:


There is only one way that these blocks will come together, there is no optional rotating with these, but the results are great also!  Here are the four blocks that were created from this cut.


Such variety from one little square set of fabric!  Your mind is racing right?!  


Infinite possibilities depending on where you cut.

***********************************************

Okay, what to do with leftovers...you may find that you have some odd bits left from your strip, they didn't quite measure 6 inches square...You can go ahead and cut them into 3 inch pieces or 2  1/2 inch pieces or even 2 inch pieces.  Subcut them again to make squares or in the case of the 2 inch strips...you can lay them side by side for another unusual effect.  



These don't look like much do they...but see below...





*******************************************

So I hope you will try this technique, there are a myriad of possibilities.  Just look at the blocks I got from my six inch strip of fabric below... And these aren't all of them!


*****************************************************

If you like this technique and want to learn more, you can get some great books by Bethany Reynolds:




 Here is a link to another post in my blog that also discuss this technique:  http://sisterofthedivide.blogspot.com/2012/07/tutorial-creating-stacked-lemoyne-star.html

Have fun and show me your photos!!!























1 comment:

  1. Your fabric selection is gorgeous and what a neat result!!!! I am going to have to try this now!!! Thanks for sharing :-)

    ReplyDelete