Friday, July 12, 2013

My Husband Is Blind and I'm Moving The Furniture!

My Husband John

Monday, July 1st my husband went to see his doctor for a post op visit having just had a retinal detachment in his one remaining eye repaired last month.  He lost the site in his left eye 2 years ago, when a doctor failed to diagnose a retinal detachment.   Well, he get's down to UC Davis Hospital and they tell him it's torn again and he has to have emergency surgery at 11:30 that night. I won't go into all the gory details, it's a gnarley proceedure to say the least. I got him home Wednesday last week, without site in his eyes. We live at 2700 ft elevation so we have to stop every 500 ft of incline and wait for the gas bubble that they insert into the eyeball, to adjust to the altitude or it could permanently blind him. So it takes several hours to get home. Then he must lay on his right side to keep the bubble positioned where they need it to be for this particular tear to heal properly. This Thursday he went for his post op check up and the doctor is cautiously optomistic. 

John in the Grand Canyon

It has been a challenging couple of months for both of us. I feel like I'm over the edge, repeating: " lay on your right side, keep your head down, don't pick that up, don't bend over, keep your dark glasses on". All I do is nag, nag, nag...with the best of intentions. I want a good outcome. This and the normal day to day chores that he does to help around the house, that are now under my perview as well. Hauling the garbage can down the long steep driveway on Sunday night so the garbage man can get it on Monday morning. Taking care of our Insurance clientele, which means meeting with them on Fridays (my only weekday off) and taking care of the attending paperwork that is required in running our business. Instead of wisking out the door to work in the morning, now I must fix him a breakfast and lunch and some snacks before I go. I don't mind, I love my husband and I know he would do the same for me...but it's a work out.

Grandpa and Isaiah at the Foresthill House.

Our standing joke now is...don't piss me off...or I'm moving the furniture! He is navigating around the house well and tonight we even went for a walk down the street to the corner and back. He is in good spirits except for feeling house bound and like a little kid, looking for trouble to get into. Today was our grandson's 5th birthday and we called him and sang the Happy Birthday song for him, he loved it. And just before we hung up the phone our little 2 year old granddaughter said, "Hi Pa!" SOOOOO cute! Melted her grandpa. Life is good, we are blessed and I know that John will heal. We will know in a month if he will have his site back.  Prayers will be answered!  

Grandpa with baby Maliyah and 3 year old Isaiah

Maliya 2 and Isaiah 5


  1. Oh sweetie! I hope and pray that John heals and can have sight restored to his eye! I love that you have your sense of humor through this detour in your lives. On top of prayers I will keep my fingers crossed too! xo

  2. I've been where John is. There is hope given the right doctor. But be aggressive obtaining all the information you need. I've got some saved sight and am grateful. But it could have been better if only I'd seen the right doctor immediately. Hugs to you and best wishes for your good health.