Sunday, July 29, 2012

Make a Mix Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, A Reflection on the Past


Ice Box Cookies, they harken back to when I was a little girl.  My mother would mix up cookies and store them in the freezer, neatly rolled up and we would slice and bake them.  When my son was little, as a new mother, I of course wanted to replicate those warm feelings that I had as a child with my son. 






I forget how I was introduced to the Make-A Mix Cook Book Series and I had forgotten how fun their recipes were.  Last week I got the book down off the shelf and made up the Sugar cookies, today I made up the Oatmeal Raisin cookies.  There is something inside me that feels smug and wonderful, just knowing I have dozens of cookies at my disposal in the freezer.  It's soothing somehow.  I know that may sound funny, but I am from a generation that absolutely cannot have dinner without a little desert!


So for those of you who, don't have this book, here is the recipe with a few modifications by me (butter instead of shortening and spices where there were none)



1 1/2 cups butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3 eggs
2 teaspoons of vanilla ( we make our own!)
Cream the butter and the sugar, then add eggs one at a time along with vanilla, cream well.
Sift together 1 3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
Add to creamed mixture and mix completely. Then add:
4 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 cup of raisins
nuts if you wish.
Divide dough into 4 portions, Shape into logs on wax paper or freezer paper, roll up, label and freeze.
To bake, slice a 1 inch piece of dough, then cut it into four pieces. (make as many or as few as you like) Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes, cool on rack and enjoy.



Mine are in the freezer right now and will be ready when my son arrives for dinner this evening!  Won't he be surprised!



1 comment: