Saturday, July 28, 2012

Quick Fun Strip Block



There was a cute little video on this block done by the Missouri Quilt Company.  They have so many great little video tutorials.  I am just replicating the block for my class here.  Enjoy, they are quick and fun!


First cut strips 2 1/2 inches wide, or purchase a precut "jelly roll".  



Now select 4 strips and sew them together in a strip set and press.


Measure the width of your strip set and cut blocks the same length. You are making squares with equal sides.  


Take two of your squares and lay one on top of the other right sides together with the stips going in opposite directions as shown below:


I like to place a pin in each corner, in far enough so that it won't impede my stitching.  You don't have to pin, but I think it helps to keep the corners straight and accurate for a nice final result.


Now stitch a 1/4 inch seam around the entire square, all sides, sewing the top block to the bottom block.  Hard to see in my photo as I am using white thread.


Now take your ruler and your rotary cutter and make your first cut on the diagonal as shown.  Do not pull your pieces apart, leave them.



Now cut across the diagonal in the opposite direction and then press open your bits!


You have four completed block that you can put together any way you want.  




Okay, show me your blocks!!!

15 comments:

  1. Love how simple!
    Zero fabric stash to work with, once income perks up I will be looking for simple blocks like this to make us some quilts. My bedroom is in desparate need of a quilt; grass green, white, gray, black. Can't wait to gather fabrics for it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have wonderful color sense, I can't wait to see!!!

      Delete
    2. Troll through your local Goodwill or Salvation Army store for inexpensive garments you can repurpose as quilt blocks. Now that'd make the resulting quilts really special.

      Delete
    3. I use my yard sale app to search for fabric. I've gotten lots of great quilting fabric, fat quarters, etc.

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is the world's cutest block!!! I have to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great simple strip pieced block, I'll be playing with this soon. :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished a black and white quilt using these blocks. Not sure if this link is going to work or not!

    Click Here to see my quilt

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know I'm late with my comment but I really love this block but can you please tell me how large a quilt one jelly roll will make please? Thank you so much.
    Patti xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Measure the width, length and drop (if you want over hang).

      Figure a 2.5" x 44" strip will finish (less seam allowance of 1/4") @ 2" x 43"

      Divide the length of the size quilt you want by 2 x the number needed for the width (2, if the width is 86" or less).

      Delete
  6. Wow!! Thank you for the inspiration. I just happened to have some reunion scraps laying around. It's one of my favorites. I wish I knew how to send you a picture :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. Check out my blog to see my blocks

    Old people Blog too

    ReplyDelete
  8. IMG_9636.jpeg

    I love this pattern. So easy and fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've bought my fabrics, now I just have to cut & sew. Looks easy enough and I like the design

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, looks so complicated but very simple, thanks!

    ReplyDelete